Translate This Page:
Physician Referral: 1 (800) GS-CARES
General Hospital: 213-977-2121
info@goodsam.org
Physician Search »

Historical Milestones

1885 Sister Mary Wood establishes a nine-bed facility in Los Angeles. A tradition of caring begins.

1886

St. Paul's Episcopal Church (seen at right in historical photo) enters into an agreement with the California Diocese to assume control of the facility, renamed The Los Angeles Hospital and Home for Invalids.

1886

A good Samaritan - Mrs. Mark Severance - donates funds to purchase new property for larger quarters. The hospital is renamed in her honor. The hospital begins a period of growth, mirroring the growth of the City of Los Angeles.

1898

Good Samaritan becomes a training school for nurses - a commitment still honored today by the hospital's on-site training programs and continued emphasis on nurse-patient education.

1911

Good Samaritan moves to its current location.

1927

New facilities are developed to better serve the growing Los Angeles community.

1953

A major addition is built. The hospital is configured for 400+ patients.

1976

Ten years of planning culminate in a new hospital, upgraded to include the most recent technologies and newest concepts in health care delivery.

1981

A medical office building is added to the hospital campus.

1984

An outpatient surgery center is established.

1986

The Heart Institute is founded as a Center of Excellence.

1986

Good Samaritan makes history with the world's first live birth from a frozen embryo (see People Magazine article from 1986 at left). The Institute for Reproductive Research is founded.

1988

The Neuromuscular Center is officially designated a Jerry Lewis ALS Clincial and Research Center, one of five Muscular Dystrophy Association sponsored centers for the study of Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis and related disorders.

1989

The Davajan-Cabal Perinatal Center, affiliated with the USC School of Medicine, is created as a Center of Excellence to meet increased community demand for childbirth services.

1990

Spacious cardiothoracic surgery and intensive care wings are added.

1991

The Orthopaedic Institute is developed as a Center of Excellence.

1991

The 7th Gamma Knife in the U.S. installed at Good Samaritan Neurosciences program, a nationally recognized Center of Excellence.

1992

The Kidney Stone Center is developed as a Center of Excellence.

1998

Good Samaritan Hospital is named one of "America's Best Hospitals" for "Top Medical Care in 16 Specialties" by U.S. News & World Report. Neurosciences and Gastroenterology are identified as offering patients the best level of medical care available in these specialties.

1999

The Transfusion-Free Medicine and Bloodless Surgery program is developed and offered to patients.

1999

The Bone & Joint Institute is developed by Good Samaritan's internationally recognized orthopedic experts.

1999

The Kidney Center is renamed in honor of the late Peter D. Fugelso, M.D., a pioneer in the use of percutaneous approaches and extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy.

Sign up for Our Newsletter

Get updates on latest services, events & much more!

Online Form Maker